Monday, March 20, 2017

Review: Stand-Off

Stand-Off Stand-Off by Andrew Smith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have a love-hate relationship with Andrew Smith. I gave 5 stars to Winger, Grasshopper Jungle, and 100 Sideways Miles, but then I didn't care for The Alex Crow. With Stand-Off, Smith reverts back to what I love about him--teenage boy protagonist who is troubled, yet a sweetheart. Can I be the supportive librarian at Pine Mountain school, please, so I can help take care of these kids and offer them bibliotherapy? :)

Ryan Dean hasn't dealt with losing his best friend from the first book in the series, and now he returns to his private school determined to be a a**hole. He is paired with a scrawny 12-year-old kid as a roommate (Ryan Dean is a 15-year-old senior), and he's determined to not be friendly to him. Grief is a b*tch, and Ryan Dean struggles with it for his entire school year, but his girlfriend, rugby coach, and new friends help him through it.

Loved how the grief process was written in this one, as well as the whole conversation about consent, heterosexual and homosexual.

View all my reviews

No comments: