Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Review: Alex and Eliza

Alex and Eliza Alex and Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Reading this feels like I'm "coming home....." (please sing like I'm Thomas Jefferson).

Is this anything special? No. Will it be read by Hamilton fans? Yes.

As the author notes, she was inspired to write the love story after watching the musical, and took much dramatic license, since not much of their love story of Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Schuyler is known. So I'm not going to knock de la Cruz's imagination, although I really want to do my own research and see what facts "are" known.

Safe for tweens, there is nothing earth-shattering (I kinda wanted a good sex scene between the two), but I know there are plenty of other adult versions of this love story out there on my To Read list.

Enjoyed the addition about smallpox inoculations, and the complicated connections between the Dutch American families.

I'm impressed by the speed of which this book was written, published, and marketed.

View all my reviews

No comments: