Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Review: American Street

American Street American Street by Ibi Zoboi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I see why people think that this book will be discussed at the Printz table! The magical realism bits were my favorite--without them, this book would have been too difficult for me to read. Detroit in the neighborhood of American and Joy Streets isn't an easy place to live. When Fabiola comes to live with her aunt and cousins (while her mother is detained at the airport), she doesn't quite fit in. Her American family is too loud and too street. But "Fabulous" adjusts and decides that she must do whatever it takes to bring her mother to Detroit, even if that means sucking up to her cousin's evil boyfriend or snitching to the cops. Things don't turn out well.

Loved the beautiful writing and the tales of Haiti. I couldn't help but think of In Darkness.

View all my reviews

No comments: