Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Review: Dear Martin

Dear Martin Dear Martin by Nic Stone
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So good, but I have to say that I like The Hate U Give better. But both so needed for our youth and teens! And, adults.

Justyce is a brilliant kid going to an expensive prep school and kicking butt on the school's debate team. And he's black. When he's arrested and held for hours for helping his on/off again girlfriend when she was drunk, he doesn't know how to handle it. He's a good kid who just happened to be wearing a hoodie and helping a girl who looked white. When the racial incidents keep happening around him (or maybe he's just noticing them more?), he begins writing letters to Dr. King, as he tries to ACT like Dr. King in situations. And it's tough.

I did have issues with the 3rd person narration--there were times where something just felt off about it, especially at the beginning of the novel.

View all my reviews

No comments: