Friday, January 19, 2018

Review: The Only Girl in the World: A Memoir

The Only Girl in the World: A Memoir The Only Girl in the World: A Memoir by Maude Julien
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I read the first half--read a few bits every other page for the last half. This was billed as a "Glass Castle" type of book, but the only correlation is that the author had a horrible childhood. Her parents were mentally and physically cruel to her and I feel sorry for her. First published in France, the English translation may have lost some of the writing quality--I felt like I was reading a list of bad things that happened to her, instead of a true memoir with reflection and good storytelling. But maybe that is a product of her upbringing? Any child made to read and understand Karl Marx by the age of 8 is bound to have some emotional and writing deficits.



View all my reviews

No comments: