Monday, May 7, 2018

Review: Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo"

Barracoon: The Story of the Last Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo" by Zora Neale Hurston
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I highly recommend the audiobook of this important work. The accent work is so good, and, as a listener, you will become easily engrossed in the tale of Cudjo. It's so amazing that Hurston traveled south to interview the 95-year-old man, and her patience in the interview process made me smile.

This little book won't take up much of your time, and I wonder if it will make it into college and high school classrooms. Cudjo is quite the storyteller and Hurston's role as a folklorist is in fine form here--so glad she interviewed him to capture his history and tales from home.

View all my reviews

No comments: