Friday, July 13, 2018

Review: Dancing On The Grave

Dancing On The Grave Dancing On The Grave by Zoë Sharp
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Give this a go if you like Happy Valley/Last Tango in Halifax/Harlen Coben/Lee Child/murder mysteries.

I'll read anything by Zoe Sharp--her mysteries/procedurals usually have strong kickass female main characters, and I love that in a field that's swamped with the other gender. This is a standalone though, and I wasn't sure if I would love it since it didn't have my fav character Charlie Fox. Instead I got Grace, who is a quieter woman, but strong and determined to be an excellent forensic investigator in the Lake District of England. She's got a bit of a past (ex-husband, job switch, difficult coworkers) and is forced to work with DC Nick Weston on a baffling case. A dog ends up shot, and then the people connected to the dog start dropping like flies. Really, they do, since a sniper is responsible. Turns out that there is a military connection (yes--I love military conspiracy stuff), and Grace and Nick must figure it all out.

I even loved the fleshed out secondary characters of Edith, a troubled teenager, and Patrick, the troubled sniper. Both had some serious stuff going on in their heads, yet I felt like I connected with them. I wouldn't mind seeing either Nick or Grace in another title--I like them and their friendship/understanding of each other.

Thank you to the author for providing an eARC of this title!


View all my reviews

No comments: