Friday, July 13, 2018

Review: The Displaced: Refugee Writers on Refugee Lives

The Displaced: Refugee Writers on Refugee Lives The Displaced: Refugee Writers on Refugee Lives by Viet Thanh Nguyen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Dang. This quick little book of 17 essays will punch you in the gut. Some, of course, are better than others, but, overall, this will give you the feels. I admit that I didn't really understand the complexities of asylum seekers, migrants, and refugees. Living in small town central Illinois, I don't see many of any of those, or at least it doesn't seem like I do. But after reading this book, I feel like I know a bit more. I loved how the Pulitzer Prize winning editor included essays from writers all over the world who became refugees--Ukraine, Bosnia, China, Vietnam, and, yes, Mexico. Their tales are all different, but all are heartbreaking. This book would serve as a great book club read and an easy lead-in to local people telling their refugee stories at libraries.

View all my reviews

No comments: