Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Review: Hey, Kiddo

Hey, Kiddo Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lots of cuss words in this one, so fair warning, schools. Buy it anyway, but watch who you check it out to? ;)

I love the Lunch Lady graphic novels for kids, and had no idea about the background of the author/illustrator. He didn't have the best childhood, and you'll find out. Raised by his grandparents, who had their own problems, and teased because he wasn't athletic, Krosoczka drew all the time. Thankfully his grandparents paid for him to take art classes, and it really saved his life. Art saves, people!

This memoir is fairly dark--all that info is in the subtitle (How I Lost My Mother, Found My Father, and Dealt with Family Addiction), but the art is exquisite. Love how he explained what he did with it at the end, too, and the "real things" that he included. It's amazing how many steps these illustrators go through--actual drawing, computer stuff, then drawing again. Crazy.

View all my reviews

No comments: