Thursday, March 21, 2019

Review: Barbed Wire Heart

Barbed Wire Heart Barbed Wire Heart by Tess Sharpe
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Here is the perfect example of a book I didn't care for much in audio format, but I had received an ARC of it and set it aside as a future read. I'm so glad I did! The print version ROCKS.

Think of the Netflix show Ozark, but from the POV of the young teen girl who has grown up in her criminal, meth-making, white trash family. Harley McKenna is a trained hardass who has been groomed her whole life to take over her family's business, but she also has been raised to take care of her dead mama's side of things, like running a women's group home for abused women. She's quite the oxymoron--willing to brand a man with a hot knife and sic her dog on someone, yet able to fall in love with a good man and help abused women and children.

Basically, Harley kicks ass. You want to be her friend, but you would hate to ever turn on her, because she will make you disappear in a tarp of acid down at the rock quarry.

This book is brutal and hard-edged and awesome. I read it in two days. Would love to watch this movie or see a TV show based on it. It reads like a screenplay.

View all my reviews

No comments: