Friday, March 22, 2019

Review: To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel

To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel by Fred Fordham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Students could easily read this graphic novel and complete most classroom activities in American high schools that the teacher assigns. That means it's a good retelling, right? I used to teach this back in the day, and all the "important" quotes are in the graphic version, and there is plenty of symbolism, too. I'm still more of a fan of the novel, of course, but I could really seeing this version being taught along side the novel.

The illustrations were clear and, to me, added more to the text. But, I really had forgotten about how much happens in this book--not just Boo and Tom Robinson. The graphic novel left me wanting more, so I'm glad there is the actual novel floating around. But, actually, kids could totally read this instead of the novel and be just fine. The important pieces are there.

View all my reviews

No comments: