Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Review: The Moon in the Palace

The Moon in the Palace The Moon in the Palace by Weina Dai Randel
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've had this on my kindle for ages and finally got around to reading it because I usually enjoy novels set in ancient China. I honestly don't know how the pheasants lived back then--even the girls in the palace didn't get much food. I've been to Bejing and I couldn't help but picture the Forbidden Palace as I read about young Mei. It's sad because as a child she dreams of living in the palace, but, then, eh, palace life isn't all that great either. The Emperor is a wus (my word, not hers), and every other man is off limits. Life just sucked for women back then. The main character's mom was happier in a Buddhist temple, and I totally understand why!

View all my reviews

No comments: