Thursday, December 5, 2019

Review: Cursed

Cursed Cursed by Thomas Wheeler
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Nothing new here.

I feel the same way as one of my Goodreads friends--this would have been a better book if the characters had different names. Most readers would "get" the Arthurian references that way, but not be irritated when the characters didn't match with their reputations in the original myths. That's what really bothered me. I loved Nimue and her kick-ass attitude with the magic sword, but I wanted Arthur to act like the Arthur I know, and Lancelot to act like Lancelot, etc. The names distracted me.

As for the illustrations, I hate how Nimue's buttcrack is emphasized in one of them--it made to check to see if this was a male illustrator. Yep, of course. And I hate how the illustrations aren't fully integrated with the text. I want the illustration on the page where the text is--not on the next page. I'd rather have smaller illustrations that are integrated with the text than what is in this book. I don't want the visual elements to look like they were done separately and then just stuck in by the book publisher.

Will this make a decent Netflix series? Meh. Not so sure. I'd love to see a diverse cast in any fantasy series, but I don't know if another Arthurian series is needed.

View all my reviews

No comments: