Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Review: Stateway's Garden: Stories

Stateway's Garden: Stories Stateway's Garden: Stories by Jasmon Drain
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow. This is one of those subtle short story collections with beautiful writing that really sneaks up on you and makes you think. On the surface, it's a collection loosely connected by place--Stateway Gardens--the projects on the south side of Chicago by the White Sox Stadium. I don't remember driving by these when they were still standing, though I must have since I know that stretch of the Dan Ryan well. These stories also are mostly about two brothers (and the girls in their lives), and it's difficult to tell you exactly what these stories are about. They are just good and I feel like I KNOW the characters and the place. I love how poetic some of the sentences are--while listening to the audio I smiled at parts that were actually quite dark, but the word choices were freaking amazing.

View all my reviews

No comments: