Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon



We're reading this for the PHS Book Club, and so I'm reading it for the second time (which I don't usually do). But I'm forced to remember why I like this one so much. Brent Runyon's autobiography is shocking and a tearjerker. I love it. This book is SOOO much better than A Child Called It and any of the Pelzer books. I wish this one received the same amount of press. This book is on the 2005-2006 Abe Lincoln list and the author has created an awesome website at www.burnjournals.com. Go to the site to see pictures of the author and excerpts of interviews. Mr. Runyon sets himself on fire at fourteen, and spends a year plus in recovery. This is his story. It's not depressing, and I love the musical references. He's my age, so I listened to the same music as he did--Suicidal Tendencies, Warrant, etc. Ahh, I'm showing my age!

No comments: