Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Quiver by Stephanie Spinner



This one was nominated for Abe and is short, so I decided to read it during school yesterday! I had to finish it at home though. I don't think it's Abe material. Greek mythology is great, but I this isn't the best novelization of a myth that I've read.

Atalanta is left for dead in the forest by her father, the king. Artemis, the goddess of the hunt, saves her, and Atalanta is raised by a band of hunters. She is swifter than men and a better hunter. Atalanta vows chastity for her goddess, but, of course, she ends up falling in love. Her father decides to claim her for his own. She must marry, despite her vow, so she says that she will marry the man who will beat her in a foot race. The losers must die. After several deaths, she sees a man whom she falls in love with because Eros shoots her with an invisible arrow of love. Throughout the novel, Artemis, Eros, Apollo, and Aphrodite discuss the events and make changes as they wish. I hated the ending of the novel. Atalanta and her new husband desecrate sacred ground and Zeus turns them into lions as punishment. This short little book was okay. I finished it. But that's not good enough for me.

No comments: