Wednesday, March 7, 2007

With Their Eyes: September 11th, the View from a High School at Ground Zero edited by Annie Thoms


The students at Stuyvesant were right in the heart of the attacks on September 11th. The students produced a play that consists of monologues from students, teachers, and other people around the high school.
I'm not really sure what to think after reading this. I think it would be better to see it performed. None of the monologues are gut-wrenching, and most show the resilience of high school students. Really, most kids bounce back from tragedy, and this didn't show any students who really fell apart after the towers fell. I kept waiting for the tragic student to give their monologue. So, I'm not really sure if I liked this or not. It wasn't dry reading, but it wasn't thrilling. It was better than a lot of things I've read about 9/11 though. Although my favorite piece is The Usual Rules by Joyce Maynard.

No comments: