Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Bras & Broomsticks by Sarah Mlynowski


I listened to the audio book of this fun young adult chick lit book and cracked up laughing in the car. Really, Ariadne Meyers sounds just like a teenager and made me smile. A lot.

Rachel is 14 and struggling. She gets "Santa's Little Helper" ( a zit) and can't dance. Then she finds out that her younger sister just discovered that she is a witch. The sis brings a dead lobster back to life. At the supper table. And then Rachel finds out that her mother is a witch, too, who just doesn't use her powers. Oh. My. God. (as Rachel would say)

So Rachel talks her sister into giving her a dance spell so Rachel can join the dancing team for the annual fashion show and finally make it to the A-list. And they conspire to ruin the soon-to-be marriage of her pops and his fiance so they don't have an evil stepmother. And the fun begins. Because while magic is a quick fix, it doesn't work the way they want it to.

This is a fun, quick read that had me smiling the whole time. It's recommended for grades 6-9, but I think I'll buy this series for my high school. I think it will be really popular.

No comments: