Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Grave Tattoo by Val McDermid


Well, if you have to read a literary thriller from 2007, read The Double Bind. This adult novel took me hours to read. I kept finding other things to do. I did laundry, watched TV, took a nap. All because I couldn't finish this slow-moving supposed thriller.

Jane is a Wordsworth scholar and even grew up in the Lake District. So when a dead body with tattoos washes up in the bogs, she's interested. She thinks it might help prove her theory that Fletcher Christian, of Mutiny of the Bounty fame, told his story to William Wordsworth who then wrote an epic poem about the adventure. So Jane sets out to prove it. She researches and digs and eventually bodies start piling up behind her.

Basically the downfall to his novel is that I didn't get emotionally involved with any of the characters except for Tenille, the young black girl from the hood who loves poetry and claims Jane as her mentor. Jane was pretty boring, and so was her relationship with Dan and her ex-boyfriend Dave. This read was okay, but I've read better.

No comments: