Thursday, June 21, 2007

I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle


This adult novel cracked me up, but it's also one that I'll forget pretty soon. Think of High Fidelity--chick lit for guys. The author, Larry Doyle, has written for The Simpsons, and it shows. I laughed out loud on the train when I was reading this one. The movie quotes and caricatures of the main character at the beginning of each chapter are hilarious. The author has to be around my age because one was Lloyd Dobler from Say Anything and another was Back to the Future. Those were the ones I recognized. I'm sure I've heard the others!
The book is one night in the life of Denis Cooverman. But it's also the most action filled night he has ever had. In his valedictorian speech, he declares that he loves Beth Cooper. The problem is that she is head cheerleader, he has never talked to her, and he has a boyfriend home on leave from the army. Scary. Throughout the night, he gets beaten up. Constantly. He makes out with Beth Cooper eventually, drinks plenty of alcohol, gets beaten up again, and eventually survives the night. There are some sex scenes typical for this type of book, but poor Denis never gets lucky. But his possibly gay best friend does. Maybe.
If you need a quick, funny read, this one is for you!

No comments: