Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Rhythm of the Road by Albyn Leah Hall

I don't know what to think about this adult novel.

Was I wowed by it? Yes.
Do I love it? Not really.
Did I read it in one night? Yes.
Am I still thinking about it? Yes.

Jo is the modern day British girl growing up with her truck-driving daddy on the road. What a strange life.

Bobby and Rosalee are Jo's parents and not exactly the parents you want to have. Rosalee leaves Jo after her birth. Bobby suffers from depression.

Bobby and Jo pick up a hitchhiker one day who eventually hits it big as a country singer. Jo tries to become a groupie and fails.

I'm failing at this. I can't even sum up everything that happens. It's a tale of dysfunctional families, mental illness, alcoholism, drug use, sex, growing up, Britain, country music and America. And it works.

No comments: