Thursday, July 12, 2007

Rant: an Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk


I wasn't looking forward to this one because I've never read anything by Chuck, but have heard a lot about him. Now I'm not sure what to think. He's a gifted writer, that's for sure. And he has some crazy ideas. The first hundred pages of this adult novel absolutely rocked. I was laughing. I was adding quotes from Echo onto my MySpace page. But then I finished the book and I wasn't too impressed. It went downhill for me.

Basically, Rant Casey grew up strange. His mother puts thumbtacks and other sharp objects in her baked goods. He likes to get stung by poisonous animals to feel the euphoria and stiffness in certain parts of his body. But people die around him. He gets rabies. Then 50 girls in town get it, too, because Buster Casey is pretty irresistible. Next thing you know, this futuristic world has an epidemic of drooling, blood-thirsty people who all have one thing in common. Buster. But, boy, this novel is strange. Was it worth reading? Yes. Will I read Chuck's next book? Probably. But if it disappoints me, then I'm done with this author.

No comments: