Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Naming by Alison Croggon


I love picking up a thick young adult fantasy book and reading it in one day! The First Book of Pellinor didn't disappoint me. It was hefty, but worth it. Maerad is a poor slave who is rescued by a young bard and taken on a journey. She discovers that she is important and needs to help save the world. Of course, she discovers that she has magic powers (think Harry Potter), and her bard helps her discover them. Basically, this is a fantasy. So think magic, ancient texts, secret languages, elemental beings, and, of course, the evil ones. The one part I didn't like was that the author includes author's notes and acts like the tale is a true one that she researched and found. I can imagine some poor kid Googling and trying to find out more information about the fictional tale. Sad. However, I can't wait to read the sequel!

No comments: