Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Missy by Chris Hannan


It isn't very often that I read a book and I think, "Wow, I didn't know that!" But this Scottish playwright surprised the heck out of me.

Dol McQueen is a 19-year-old "well-used" young lady in the Old West. She and her girlfriends travel west to Sierra Nevada to start a new life. She gets some help from missy, which is another word for laudanum or liquid opium. Ohhhhh, you say! Dol's life stinks, and she doesn't know it because she's too high. She gets beaten up by men with flashy rings and her mother is a drunk loser.

I just had no idea this kind of life existed. It's not Bonanza or Little House on the Prairie--that's for sure ! But the author makes the tale work. I devoured this book and hoped that Dol would come to her senses.

No comments: