Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz, Narrated by Christina Moore and a Full Cast


I know it was a big deal last January when this children's book was announced as the Newbery winner, so I had to give it a shot. This was the full-cast audio version, so each character in the medieval village was spoken by someone with the appropriate accent. This made it much more interesting. I liked the concept of the book, but I have to admit I was rather bored. Sure, in a classroom, this collection would work. But, for recreational reading, I think it lacked anything relevant to today's society. Do kids really get into reading dialect about medieval times? I never would have picked this up because it looked fun to read. I think librarians like the idea that a librarian wrote the book and I'm wondering if that clouded committee members' judgment? (Oh, no, the wrath will fall upon my shoulders!) But, then again, I don't work with grade school kids. So maybe my perception of what they like is skewed. Any supporters of this book winning the Newbery out there? Can you argue why this won? :D

No comments: