Thursday, July 16, 2009

Vacations from Hell by Libba Bray, Cassandra Clare, Claudia Gray, Maureen Johnson and Sarah Mlynowski


I like Mlynowski (see As Seen on TV), Clare (see City of Bones) and Bray (see A Great and Terrible Beauty). I've read almost all of Maureen Johnson. So I was sooooo disappointed in this short story collection. The premise was great--five short stories about teenagers on vacations from hell. Of course, the supernatural is involved. But I thought the stories were trite, predictable, and not a joy to read. It fills the need for fluff, but this isn't the kind of fluff I like. I want short stories to be gripping and suspenseful, but I thought these were cheesy and silly.

I can't believe I'm trashing anything written by these authors. I really, really like their novels. But these stories need tighter editing, and I think the collection did need an editor. No editor is listed on the title page. I'm sure it will sell because of their names and this might sooth some kids, but I think a lot of people will be disappointed.

Again, I can't believe I'm dissing the work of these authors. Ugh.

No comments: