Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Kids Are All Right: a memoir by Diana, Liz, Amanda and Dan Welch


2010 Alex Award Winner!


How often do you see memoir written by four siblings? This one strongly reminded me of the fiction novel Three Girls and Their Brother, mainly because of the sex and number of the siblings, I guess. Each chapter is headed by the author so the reader is never confused. Liz is the main author (her chapters are usually longer), but it's interesting to see how the facts change with each sibling's memory.

It's the early 1980s and their father dies. Then their soap opera star mother struggles with cancer for years and the kids have to raise themselves and each other. The book reads like fiction (which is a plus for me) and I really grew concerned for all four of the teenagers. I connected with all four kids and truly appreciate the editing that probably went into putting this book together. Lots of siblings could tell stories about their childhood, but I don't think many could tell the story this well.

No comments: