Friday, January 29, 2010

Louise, the Adventures of a Chicken by Kate DiCamillo and Harry Bliss, Read by Barbara Rosenblat


I know I don't usually review children's books on my blog, even though I read plenty of them with my seven-year-old daughter. But the audio recording of this book won the 2010 ALSC/Booklist/YALSA Odyssey Award and was announced at Youth Media Awards two weeks ago. A friend of mine was on the committee and they know they listened to hours and hours of audiobooks to find the best ones. Of course, I had to listen! So last night my daughter and I listened to the CD as we followed along in the book.

And, wow. What an awesome audiobook! The sound effects were marvelous and the narrator's voice was amazing. The different characters' voices were so distinct and Addie and I were anxiously awaiting the turn of each page. Louise goes on three adventures--a ship, the circus, and a Middle Eastern bazaar. And Louise is one tough chicken. :)

No comments: