Monday, March 22, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Last year I started reading The Girl Who Played with Fire and discovered that, hey, it's a sequel! So I figured I should read the first book first. I must admit though that I thought the second book was a bit wordy (maybe because of the translation?) so I cheated and interlibrary loaned the abridged audiobook. And, whoa, even the abridgment was boring at the beginning. It was 6 CDs and I didn't get interested until the end of the 3rd disk. I knew it was a bestseller, so I thought it would be a bit more fast paced and not as cheesy.

Mikael Blomkvist is a journalist who has fallen on hard times and takes a position researching a disappearance in the 1960s. Of course, he's smart enough to dig up more clues, but mainly with the help of Lisbeth Salander, the 24-year-old character who steals the show. Salander is cool and mysterious and able to kick some serious booty, and the sequel will give us more info about her, I'm sure.

The author died back in 2004, which led to the popularity of these titles, I'm sure. I don't think they would be such a hit if he were still cranking out sequels.

No comments: