Monday, July 26, 2010

The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette by Carolyn Meyer

I don't remember nice things about Marie-Antoinette before she lost her head on the guillotine, so I wondered how Meyer would portray her. In this historical fiction YA novel, Marie-Antoinette is sheltered, spoiled, and raised to act exactly as she does. She doesn't know any common folk and doesn't understand their plight. her unsatisfying marriage is an interesting tale, as well as her struggle to produce heirs to the throne. I didn't care for how the last section was written from Marie Antoinette's daughter--her voice was undistinctable from her mother's, so what was the point? I would like to see a whole book written from the daughter's point of view. She was royal blood without a country for most of her life and wandered all over Europe--now that's a story!

But Carolyn Meyer never disappoints me. I grew up reading Victoria Holt in junior high, so I've always been a sucker for the French or English court!

No comments: