Friday, November 12, 2010

The Midnight Twins by Jacquelyn Mitchard

I know identical twins often have a connection, but this book took things a little into the supernatural world. The twin girls can see each other's dreams and communicate very strongly with each other. They not only feel each other's pain, but can predict the future, so their lives get complicated when they start seeing death. Someone is going to get raped or killed and the girls have to try to stop him.

I liked The Deep End of the Ocean, but I struggled with this book. Not only were Mallory and Meredith interchangeable, but the other characters didn't have much personality either. I felt like I needed a character list because the author didn't do a very good job distinguishing between them. And the writing was choppy. For example, when the book is almost over, (p. 214), the following paragraph occurs: "That was true enough. Despite everything, Kim had lost the only brother she would ever have, unless Bonnie and David adopted a Chinese baby or something. And they were old, at least probably forty, like her parents." The twins are supposedly smart and almost 14. I really don't think they would throw the "Chinese baby" comment out there. There were lots of moments like these during the book that I just thought, "Really?"

No comments: