Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow, Read by Kirby Heyborne

I punished myself by listening to this book again. I *know* I either listened to it or read it before, but I didn't blog about it or add it to goodreads. And so I must listen again and I *hate* re-reading books. I know some people re-read books all the time, but not me. I read enough books with similar plotlines and characters to think I'm re-reading something all the time.

Marcus is Mikey, a smart kid who hacks to beat the system. San Francisco is under the control of the Department of Homeland Security after the Bay Bridge is blown up by terrorists, and Marcus is arrested because he's in the vicinity. Using his xbox, he develops a "professional learning network" of kids/adults who want to beat the system and believe in freedom, not homeland security. It's a bash on what our government did after Sept. 11, but it's well written. I was bored during the techie parts and skipped past a few. But I think this book has kinda become a classic about "the man" and what can happen when government gets too much power.

No comments: