Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi


The YA Lit world buzzed earlier this year about this book, but I was too busy reading PPYA books to give it a glance. I picked up an ARC at ALA Midwinter or Annual (can't remember which) and I just not got around to reading it. I see why the fuss. The setting is bleak--a futuristic world where kids dismantle oil tankers to survive in a dismal, polluted world. Nailer doesn't want to be like his violent, feared father, and latches onto a rich girl he finds shipwrecked on his beach. Nita is a beacon of light in his world and perhaps he can change his own world by helping her get rescued. It's a dog-eat-dog world though, and Nailer has to determine who is family--his horrible father? His crew? or his new rich friend?

My thoughts--great beginning and great ending, though the middle dragged a bit for me. But good for readers who liked Airborn and the Mortal Engines series.

No comments: