Friday, January 14, 2011

City of Veils by Zoe Ferraris

Finding Nouf, the author's first novel, was a 2009 Alex Award winner and a huge favorite of mine (especially since I was on that committee). Why did I wait so long to read City of Veils? I truly believe that Ferraris is one of the best authors writing in the adult fiction realm. She is so readable--hundreds of pages zoom by without the reader realizing it. I want to know her characters and be their friends. Although, honestly, Nayir would have a hard time with me since I'm American and don't know the Muslim culture.

Nayir is still a desert guide, but business is slow and he's thinking about changing professions. He's also still thinking about Katya, the forensic scientist he befriended on their last case. She's not his ideal woman, but he can't forget her. The two of them come back together when a dead woman is found on a beach. Katya breaks out of her scientist role and becomes more of a police investigator with Osama, a new character whom Katya develops a great working relationship with. The three work together to solve the murder case.

What I love about her books is that they aren't the stereotypical mysteries. They are dramas and romance and suspense and heart-wrenching and informative. The Muslim culture fascinates me and I feel better educated about it after reading her novels, but I don't feel preached at. I can't wait for her next novel! Can Katya, Osama, and Nayir form an investigative agency? Please?

No comments: