Friday, January 14, 2011

Strings Attached by Judy Blundell

To be published March 2011.

I'm a huge fan of her What I Saw and How I Lied, so I snatched up this uncorrected proof of her next novel. Lately, I've been a sucker for historical fiction, and I love how publishers are kicking out stories about the 1920's and 1940's--some of my favorite historical periods.

Kit Corrigan is trying to make it in NYC as a dancer. She escapes her poor Irish background, but accepts help from her ex-boyfriend's dad in the city. Who wouldn't take a free apartment? But the story is more complex than that. The chapters alternate time (Thank you for including the date and place, Judy!) and we find out that Kit and her boyfriend Billy have a tumultuous relationship. His dad, Nate, is a gangster lawyer, but Billy just wants to be a photographer. Kit's mom died during her birth (of triplets!), but her aunt was a stable part of her family until she mysteriously disappeared. Kit's life is surrounded by secrets and she starts to find out about them. Like her previous novel that received Printz recognition, this one is full of darkness, great characters, mystery, and murder.

No comments: