Thursday, July 7, 2011

Triangles by Ellen Hopkins

To be published Oct 18, 2011. Picked up ARC at ALA Annual in New Orleans.


Well, I was wondering how Ellen Hopkins could get more adult, and, wow, she sure can! I must admit that the blatant discussion of swinging, threesomes, affairs, and disregard for the sanctity of marriage made me uncomfortable. And I’m a divorced woman who has done her share of living. But Hopkins has a way of bringing taboo topics to light for young adults in her books, so I’m not surprised that she tackled something similar in her first adult novel.


Three female friends are trying to survive. Holly has the perfect husband, but chooses to have an affair and spice up her life. Marissa devotes her life to taking care of her terminally ill daughter and tolerating her gay son, leaving little time to her husband who has cheated on her for years. Andrea is divorced and trying to find a man, but has just about given up--nothing seems to work for her. The three women are floundering, as well as the men in their lives.


It was heart-wrenching to read, but I’m interested to read Hopkins’ version of the story told through the eyes of the teens in this novel. I foresee a bestseller for Hopkins--many of her teen readers are now adults, and even her teen fans will run out to purchase this adult novel told in verse.


Interesting fact...in the novel, Holly discovers her real mom, whose name is Sarah Hill. Um, that’s my name! I met Ellen Hopkins last year when she came to my school--we’ve exchanged emails about the visit. Was she inspired by my bland and normal name? :)


Here's a sample poem from page 299 in the ARC--I know, I know, it might not look like this in the final printing, but it's too good not to share.


IT’S BEEN A VERY LONG TIME


Since I’ve gone out with a man

who even pretended this much

interest in me as a woman.


Me as a mother. Me as a sister.

Me as a human being. Robin listens

more than he talks about himself.


Asks all the right questions. Laughs

at all the appropriate times. Gives

compliments freely. He’s handsome,


in a down-home sort of way. Has

a career he loves, not just a job he puts

up with, and he’s not afraid to spend


a decent chunk of his hard-earned cash

on a pricey Sunday brunch for two

at one of my all-time favorite places.


He’s in relatively good shape. Has

a really great smile. Most likely

isn’t married. And all that makes me


wonder, one: what’s wrong with

him? And, two: if there’s nothing

at all wrong with him, why me?

No comments: