Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason

I love WWII fiction and remember enjoying In Country by this author, so I thought this new adult novel would be a good fit. It was a quick read, but it's not her best work.

Marshall Stone is 60, newly widowed, and still dealing with the crash of his B-17 bomber during the war. Now that he has the time, he returns to France, rents an apartment, and tries to find all the people of the French Resistance who tried to help him return to England. It's a simple plot, but the story is made more complicated by Marshall himself. I just didn't really like him that much--he cheated on his wife all the time. And not just in the war, but when he was a commercial airline pilot, too. He thought that surely his wife "would understand." Really, Marshall? Ugh. So I wanted the man to die old and alone to get what he deserved. lol.

On the plus side, Mason did her research so I enjoyed learning about the Resistance, crashed pilots, and how the French were treated by the Germans in the war. I'm always a sucker for historical information.

No comments: