Thursday, March 14, 2013

Wonder Struck by Brian Selznick

I still feel bad for giving The Invention of Hugo Cabret a 5P and 5Q for my review in VOYA, but I'm going to blame it on the fact that I reviewed the ARC with unfinished drawings.

So I went into this novel expecting a good one and I wasn't disappointed.  Selznick tells two different stories--one in prose and one in pictures.  Rose is the deaf daughter of a silent movie star. She's shunned by her mother because deaf people "can't survive in the city."  Fifty years later, Ben loses his mother, and, after being struck by lightning, is deaf in both ears. He escapes to NYC to track down his father.

Of course, the two stories run together eventually, and it's a sweet tale of acceptance, friendship, and family.

Recommended for grades 3+

No comments: