Friday, November 8, 2013

After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick. Performed by Nick Podehl.

Way back in 2009, I read the first book in this couplet, Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie.  It won the Rebecca Caudill award in Illinois, and, even though it's for middle grade (and I'm usually not a fan), I loved it! It's written from Steven's point-of-view, and he's dealing with his younger brother having leukemia.

This book is written from Jeffrey's POV--he's in remission from his cancer, and ticked that his big brother is in Africa playing drums instead of helping him with the troubles of 8th grade--state testing, pretty California girls who become his lab partner, and a best friend who also has had cancer.

Just like the first book, this one is sweet, heart-felt, and a tearjerker.  Not something I should have listened to on my way to work! But I'm glad I did.  I'll be having my ten-year-old daughter read these soon--I think she'll like them!

No comments: