Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava LavenderThe Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't write prettily enough to give this book justice. First, the magical realism is beautiful--heart wrenching and the world in this novel is better than in any fantasy novel. Magic lives in that house at the end of the lane in Seattle. Magic. And I want to live near it.

I didn't cry, but I really felt like putting my head on my desk and weeping when the principal does. There are moments of pure horribleness and goodness and everything in between.

Teen appeal? I know a few I could give this to. The ones who aren't afraid of being called weird. This book is for them.

I hope it will see some Printz love in January 2015. At least I'd be pushing for it if I were on the committee this year! Voice, structure, atmosphere, poetry in prose....

View all my reviews

No comments: