Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

The NightingaleThe Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can't help but think of Code Name Verity as I write this review, but, wow, I can't help but be thankful that I was born in America in the 1970s either.

Two French sisters in the 1930's are dealing with a dad that's a jerk. The younger sister, Isabelle, is a wild one who has been expelled from multiple boarding schools. Vianne is the good one who always follows the rules. But then the Nazis overtake Paris. I know I read in textbooks about the hardships of the locals when the Nazis invaded a country, but this book really make everything sink in. Life was rough. And it's so difficult to be part of the resistance when you're not getting enough food to eat and there are Germans everywhere.

This is just a good WWII novel--no doubt about it. I loved learning about the French attempt to rescue downed Allies airmen and the risks they took to get them back to their home countries alive. No tears, but this book gave me the feels. And the thankfuls.

View all my reviews

No comments: