Saturday, October 31, 2015

Review: Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I HATE that I checked the copyright page of this novel. It's written by Nicola Yoon, and also co-copyrighted by Alloy Entertainment and that just ruined it for me. I hate to think of a group of marketing people getting together and talking about how to sell novels and writing a plot that will be popular. If this book were all Nicola Yoon and her husband's fabulous artwork, I would give it 4 stars. But the fact that the same people behind The Vampire Diaries, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, The Clique, The A-List, etc., were behind it, it makes me cringe. I admit that I don't know quite how the publishing world works, but the movie deal has already been made and it seems like the book was published as part of that deal.

Maddie has grown up in her house and never leaves--she's allergic to everything, so her world consists of her house, her mother, and her nurse, Carla. Until a boy moves in next door and pantomiming turns into emails and online chatting. She's in love and willing to risk her life to live a little. It's sweet, dramatic, and reads just like a movie, which is the whole point, right?

View all my reviews

No comments: