Thursday, October 29, 2015

Review: Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Sunny Side Up by Jennifer L. Holm
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Graphic novels are still the only genre of book I can bring home to my daughter to read (Thanks, AR!) and so I'm always looking for something to bring her. She loved the Rock Star Babymouse books years ago, so I figured I would try this one by the same authors.

She read it quickly and told me that I had to read it the same night (score!). She told me it was sad, but good, and I agree with her. It touches on some heavy topics (drug abuse, domestic violence) but in a way that younger readers can understand and not be scared.

Sunny, the main character, is sent to an old folks subdivision in Florida to live with her grandpa for the summer. Through flashbacks, we eventually find out why, but in the meantime, she's depressed and a normal kid surrounded by old people until she discovers a new friend who loves comics. He makes the summer bearable, Sunny grows up a bit, and the book ends on a hopeful note.

View all my reviews

No comments: