Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Review: Citizens Creek

Citizens Creek Citizens Creek by Lalita Tademy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What an awesome audiobook! I totally understand why it received an Audie.

CowTom was taught all about cattle as a slave of the Creek people. He was respected, and even loaned out by his chief as an interpreter during the Civil War. He knew many Native dialects, English, and was best at casually swaying people through language interpretation. Eventually he earned enough money to buy his freedom, and that of his family, and the book continues through the generations to his great-grandchildren.

I'll admit that I enjoyed CowTom's story more than his granddaughter Rose--she was hard to like.
But, as always, this historical fiction book shows why I love the genre--I was learning. A lot. Especially about the complicated relationship between Creeks and African-Americans, as well as the deplorable ways all non-white looking people were treated by the American government in the 1800's.

View all my reviews

No comments: