Sunday, June 12, 2016

Review: Lilac Girls

Lilac Girls Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book will be popular with public library book clubs! Each chapter is written about one of three women--Caroline, a NYC socialite who volunteers at the French consulate and falls in love with a married Frenchman; Herta, a German doctor who takes the only job she can get--at a women's "reeducation" camp; and Kasia, a Polish teenager who works at a movie theater. Time passes very quickly in this novel and World War II changes their lives dramatically.

This is a fast read, but for some reason I didn't come to love any of the characters. Each chapter ends with a cliffhanger, so I felt like I was reading a Dickens novel, but the suspense only irritated me, instead of encouraging me to keep reading.

View all my reviews

No comments: