Thursday, July 5, 2018

Review: What Should Be Wild

What Should Be Wild What Should Be Wild by Julia Fine
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I love fantasy and love magical realism, but the combo didn't click for me in this audiobook. Maisie is from a long line of mysterious women in the woods, but she feels like she is cursed. Anything she touches dies or comes back to life, so she has to be extremely careful about everything, especially the people she loves. Her story was almost enjoyable, but the chapters were interspersed with older tales of women who disappeared--gratefully or not--into the woods and how the magic grew darker over time. I could have done without the love triangle though--it didn't fit.

Audio notes:
008. 2:04. "tears of her skirt" pronounced as crying instead of rips
019 Chapter 9. 10:00. "curs" crossing has a metallic sound
I feel like I've heard this narrator a multitude of times--she's very competent. But it was hard to make this book engaging because it dragged in places.

View all my reviews

No comments: