Monday, January 28, 2008

Footfree and Fancyloose by Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain


I was eager to see this young adult novel at the ALA conference this month in Philadelphia. I snatched up the advanced reading copy. The original is due to be published April 1. The first book in this series, Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, I described as a Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants for older teens. Other than being slightly confused by which character was what, I enjoyed this romantic, frilly chick lit novel.

Four best friends took the plunge in the last novel and decided to not go to pursue their dreams. Harper decides to stay home and write the next great American novel. Kate takes off for a European vacation but ends up volunteering in Africa to dig wells. Becca is dealing with her parents divorcing or marrying or whatever while she is on the ski team in college. Sophie is out in California trying to make it big as an actress. Throughout the novel, they come together for big events and stay in touch via email and phone calls. All four grow up, a few find romance and all find a little bit of happiness.

I do have a problem with the cover. There are four best friends in the book, so I don't like the three that are on the cover. I know, I know, Kate is in Africa, but she still deserves to be on the cover.

No comments: