Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green: a Year in the Desert with Team America by Johnny Rico


Let's just say I was disappointed in this adult war memoir. Looks pretty exciting by the cover and you can't beat the title, but the author is not someone I want to spend time with. Why? He's whiny and believed he needed to write a book about his year in Afghanistan with the C Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Infantry of the 25th Infantry Division. I really can't believe it was published. I guess publishers are desperate for true war memoirs, but Johnny Rico doesn't deliver anything. I kept waiting for there to be a reason for the book, for some kind of message, or for something to keep me entertained. Never happened. Probably the best part of the book was when he wrote about the B1 bombers and how awed he was when they flew over. At the end of his tour, he is pretty rattled because of rockets hitting every night. And I wonder about men who actually fought feel after a tour of duty. Rico's tour didn't seem like much of one. He could have just skipped the time line of his book to about two months before his tour ended. Or he could have just not written it.

1 comment:

Mickey said...

I'm reading the same book right now. I'm not saying that I'm arguing you on your opinion of the book, everyone has their own opinion. I have also deployed to war, and while, yes, it's not the normal sort of war memoir that most would pick up and read in the book store, it's probably the best that I've read so far, in that it actually shows what it's like for most soldier's on deployment. I've been deployed, so I can relate. I think though, IF he was trying to get across a message it's that, well, humans are stupid in general, and war is a pointless attempt at achieving Democracy by other methods, lol. Anyhow, you are right there, as far as war memoirs go, no, this is not the typical version, but, like I said, after having deployed to the Middle East myself from 2008-2009, it's pretty accurate as to its depiction of life while over there.