Monday, January 7, 2008

On Borrowed Wings by Chandra Prasad


For some reason, I felt like I read this book before. Or maybe I felt like the book was so contrived that it couldn't have really happened the way it did in this novel. Whatever.

Adele Pietra grew up in a limestone quarry town and her father and brother are unexpectedly killed in a mining accident. Her brother had just been accepted into Yale. (This is the first thing that seemed strange to me. Adele discusses how much brighter she is than her brother, yet the poor boy gets into Yale?) Rather than marrying a quarryman to support her mother, Adele cuts her hair and goes off to Yale. (The fact that her mother allowed her to do this is the second thing that bothered me. Adele would be spoiled goods after this and not marriageable at all). While the year at Yale is fascinating, I just didn't get sucked into the story. I just don't think Adele could have passed this test. She wasn't raised to be this independent.

No comments: