Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson


I've been meaning to read this young adult chick novel since it was published back in 2004 and never got around to it. Now there is a sequel, The Secrets of Peaches. Peaches started out disjointed and I had to push myself to keep reading. It didn't start clicking for me until around page 50, and that is when I sometimes stop reading books I don't like.

Three very different girls spend spring break and then the summer working on a peach farm. Birdie's family owns the farm, and she knows everything about it. But she's been home-schooled and doesn't know much about friendship and boys. Leeda is Birdie's filthy rich and spoiled cousin who lives in the shadow of her perfect older sister and uncaring parents. Murphy is the wild one who is sentenced to work at the orchard in return for dropping the charge of stealing alcohol from Birdie's house. It takes half the novel, but eventually these three become friends and the novel becomes a story of teenage friendship.

No comments: